Welcome to the bumper Summer round-up of Simple and in Season for July and August! Did you have a good summer? Did you get up to any tasty adventures? Well a lot of you clearly did as I’ve got 22 fabulous seasonal summer recipes for you that should help us hold onto those warm summer months for just a little bit longer.
1. Vegan Burmese Eggplant Curry
Nico from Yumsome kicks things off with this divine looking mild vegan Burmese eggplant curry recipe, with its deliciously silky eggplant in a creamy, piquant gravy, is a perfect blend of sweet, sour, and spicy flavours. This is just the kind of curry I love!
2. The World’s Best Vegan Sausages
Regular Simple and in Seasoner Nico from Yumsome has also submitted these amazing vegan sausages – are they really the best in the world? Well I’m totally intrigued and really want to give them a go. I’ve never made my own sausages before and particularly love the sound of the Italian style ones – such great flavours!
3. Coriander Chutney
Sadhna from Herbs, Spices and Tradition has dropped in with beautifully green coriander chutney that’s delicious served cold with things like fritters or samosa, or even spread on a cracker!
4. Strawberry Fields Overnight Oats
I love it when I’m organised enough to get overnight oats ready the night before a busy day! This gorgeous recipe from Jo’s Kitchen Larder has a lovely sprinkle of granola on top to give it some crunch – what a fab idea.
5. 4 Ingredient Vegan Banana and Peanut Butter Ice Cream
Nico from Yumsome is back with her tempting dessert of frozen bananas whizzed up to make this delicious sounding vegan ice cream. The flavour combo of banana, peanut butter and dark chocolate ticks all the right boxes for me!
6. Caramelised Onion Tarte Tatin
With rich, sweet caramelised onions nestling inside a crisp cheesy and herby wholemeal pastry crust, this tarte tatin from Nico at Yumsome makes for a great lunch or supper, and is perfect for picnics too! I reckon it’d be a pretty impressive dish to serve up for guests.
7. Pea & Samphire Soup
I love how vibrant this chilled pea and samphire soup is from Debbie at Proper Foodie. The salty samphire coupled with the sweetness from the peas is a match made in heaven as far as I’m concerned. This is definitely getting made!
8. Turkey Chilli Pie with Hidden Vegetables
This wonderful pie from Jo’s Kitchen Larder looks like a sure-fire family hit to me. Made with healthy turkey mince packed out with plenty of vegetables, it’s got a divine sounding sweet potato and cheddar cheese topping. One for the meal planner this autumn me thinks…
9. White Chocolate & Almond Blondies with Raspberries
Another beautiful recipe from Jo’s Kitchen Larder, and this time it’s this wonderful summery bake. Who could resist these wonderful looking blondies – not me!
10. Slow Cooker Rice Pudding
Who’s up for a bit of comforting rice pudding? I definitely am as the nights start to get much cooler! I love this spiced version from Herbs Spices and Tradition.
11. Smoked Mackerel & Horseradish Patê
Perfect for picnics or a light lunch, I love the punchy flavour of horseradish matched with smoked mackerel in this lovely light patê from Jo’s Kitchen Larder.
12. Halloumi and Sweet Summer Veg Kebabs
Kate from Gluten Free Alchemist has stopped by to share these delicious vegetarian kebabs perfect for a Summer BBQ. I’m a very big fan of halloumi on the grill, especially coupled with lovely veggies like this.
13. Best Ever Chocolate Courgette Cake
This moist and sticky chocolate cake from Jo’s Kitchen Larder looks so so SO delicious!!! It’s also a great way to tackle that glut of courgettes that have a habit of multiplying very fast at this time of year!
14. Instant Orange Peel Pickle
Another wonderful looking recipe from Herbs, Spices and Tradition – this time a lush sweet and sour orange peel pickle made with no oil.
15. Best Ever Gluten Free Scones with low sugar Strawberry Jam
It’s just not the British Summer without a scone, so Kate from the Gluten Free Alchemist has come up with her own spin on the classic. She’s made them with a rice free flour blend, moistening buttermilk and a little ground almond. She’s also come up with a low sugar jam to go with them.
16. Spicy Tomato, Buckwheat and Basil Soup
This spicy tomato, basil, and buckwheat soup from Nico at Yumsome is deliciously filling, really easy to make, full of goodness, and frugal too. She says the challenge is to only eat one bowlful at a time!
17. Mediterranean Summer Tart
How lush is this summery tart laden with vegetables from Nico at Yumsome?! I could dive headfirst into this!
18. Cacao Courgette Breakfast Cake
Cake for breakfast?! Hell yeah! Loving this vegetable-laden bake from Gluten Free Alchemist – what a wonderful start to the day that would be!
19. Perfect Greek Tzatziki
Tzatziki is one of my favourite dips in the world as it reminds me of glorious Greek holidays, but I never really think to make my own. All this will change now I’ve got the recipe from Jo’s Kitchen Larder!
20. Cherry & Mango Mousse
What a stunning dessert from Herbs, Spices and Tradition – I loved things served up in individual glasses like this as it’s easy to make in advance but also looks really effective.
21. Grilled Sea Bass with Sauce Vierge
Helen from Family Friends Cook has dished up this wonderful grilled sea bass for us. I love simple fish dishes like this in the summer and will definitely be giving her recipe a try.
22. Power Packed Roast Potato, Quinoa and Garden Veggie Salad
And finally, to finish this bumper round-up, here’s Nico from Yumsome’s total feast of a salad packed with crisp herbed potatoes teamed up with crunchy kale chips, fluffy quinoa, and a host of garden-fresh vegetables. Sounds incredible! Get the recipe
Thanks so much to everyone who’s taken the time to join in for the July & August round of Simple and in Season – what a summer’s banquet! If you’ve not had a chance to join in, make sure you check in with us for the next round in September where there’s bound to be a bountiful harvest of produce to come up with yet more wonderful recipes. So make sure you come back in October for the bumper round-up!
Join in with Simple and in Season for September
Simple and in Season is a monthly food blogging event where you are invited to link up any of your seasonal recipe posts – anywhere in the world! Join a thriving community of home cooks who love to share their seasonal creations. Each month, there will be a round-up of all the entries.
- All you have to do is come up with a dish using any seasonal produce you like (savoury or sweet) post it on your blog, add a link to this post mentioning Simple and in Season and linking to www.feedingboys.co.uk and then manually add the link to your post in the box on each month’s launch page (click the badge on my Blog sidebar to find the current host)
- The linky will close on the 30th August and a round up post featuring all the recipes entered will be posted at the beginning of October.
- You can take inspiration from anywhere – adapt a recipe from your favourite cookbook, try something from a magazine, make up your own creation or share a family favourite. The usual rules apply when using someone else’s recipe, please either get permission from the author to post it or adapt it in some way stating how/why you’ve changed it.
- Include any seasonal produce you fancy including fruit, veg, herbs, meat or fish.
- Link as many recipes as you like. You can link posts entered into other blog events or carnivals as long as it involves a seasonal food item (and fits in with their rules).
- The linky-up is open to anyone, anywhere, and although it will be nice to feature as much British produce as possible, it will be interesting to see what’s in season elsewhere.
- By entering your link, you are giving me permission to add your photograph to the round-up. I will link back directly to your post when I include you.
- If you have questions or problems, email me or leave me a comment in the comment box at the bottom of the post.
- If you are on Twitter or Instagram, tweet your link/photo adding the hashtag #simpleandinseason or add me @cookingkt and I will re-tweet it.