I can count on one hand the amount of times i’ve made meringues, so it’s not something I enter into lightly. But on the quest to make something sophisticated and a little bit on the spesh side, I thought i’d be brave.
They’re pretty straightforward to make actually and keep for a few days in a sealed container. Perfect for picnics and street parties this summer!
Crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside with warm espresso and vanilla flavours. Have I tempted you into having a go at making them?!
Espresso meringue bites
3 egg whites, room temperature
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
pinch of salt
170g caster sugar
seeds from one vanilla pod or 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
1 1/2 tsp finely ground espresso powder
1. Heat the oven to 140C/120C fan/gas mark 1.
2. Beat the egg whites in a bowl on a medium setting until foamy and then sprinkle over the cream of tartar and salt.
2. Beat again until medium peeks form and then in a separate bowl mix together the sugar, vanilla and espresso powder until combined. With the mixer on a high setting slowly add the sugar mixture one spoon at a time, waiting for the first spoon of sugar to dissolve before adding the next.
3. Once this has been completed and stiff peaks are forming stop the mixer. Line a flat baking sheet with greaseproof paper. Spoon 12 splodges of meringue evenly onto the tray, shaping with your spoon to form swirls on top.
4. Bake in the top third of your heated oven for 60-70 minutes, then allow to cool on the baking sheet before carefully peeling off.
5. Stack high on a cake stand for that coffee shop look and get everyone to tuck in with a steaming cup of coffee!
Tips with meringues
- Thoroughly wash and dry your bowl, beaters and spatula before you start as any grease will affect the egg whites’ performance.
- To get the greaseproof paper to stay to the tray, dot the underside with a little meringue mixture to stick it down.
To be in with a chance to win one the fantastic Lavazza Wimbledon prizes look out for promotional cups on take away Lavazza coffees, or enter online at http://promotion.wimbledon.lavazza.com/
Prizes include six pairs of tickets to Wimbledon, 90 Lavazza A Modo Mio Favola Plus Wimbledon Limited Edition coffee machines and 500 sets of four exclusive espresso cups created especially for the tournament.