Before I started writing this blog I dreamt about working with food, and for me winning an internship at Waitrose changed my life forever, giving me the confidence to follow my dreams of becoming a food writer.
Not everyone gets that lucky break, so if you’re harbouring a burning ambition that you’ve never been able to fully realise, here’s the chance to do something about it courtesy of Samsung.
The Samsung Launching People initiative is looking for “ambitious people with big ideas and hungry minds” in four categories – food, music, film and photography. Here’s a little video to give you the lowdown.
Each category has an inspirational mentor to give your talent that boost needed to get you beyond the day-dreaming and fully into the land of making it happen for real.
Who are the mentors?
- Food: Gizzi Erskine, Leiths-trained chef and food writer
- Music: Paloma Faith, singer-songwriter, performer and actress
- Film: Idris Elba, award winning actor, producer, and DJ
- Photography: Rankin, world famous portrait and fashion photographer
If you’re a foodie and fancy breaking new ground, this is what Gizzi is on the look-out for:
Gizzi Erskine: “I want to see someone that has a serious passion for the industry – I want to understand their passion and be able to see and feel it. I want to show that you don’t have to be conventional to be successful. I’m looking for someone who’s happy to break the rules – and maybe teach me a thing or two along the way. The simple ideas can be the best. But a simple idea with a bit of glitter on it is far more exciting.”
Does this sound like you or someone you know?
Find out more in this interview with Gizzi
How do I apply?
To apply you need to make a 2-minute video all about you and your ambition. This is your chance to get the attention of one of the four mentors. You’ll also need to submit an image and a bit of copy. You can find out more and upload your submission at:
Two opportunities for everyone:
- The mentors will select four candidates with whom they’ll work one-to-one. The chosen protégés will spend 2-3 weeks together, working closely with their mentors in a house fully furnished with Samsung’s latest technology on their personal projects, building towards a grand launch event and making their ideas and ambitions a reality. If you win, your journey, from meeting the mentors to the launch of your project, will be documented in a television series to air in spring later this year.
- There will also be a ‘People’s Choice’ winner per category, voted for by the public on Facebook, who will receive personal tuition (up to £500) and Samsung products (up to £2000) that will support them in pursuing their dreams.
What’s happening when?
3rd Feb – 6th Mar 2014 – Submissions and public voting
7th Mar 2014 – Winners of the People’s Choice are announced
13th Mar 2014 – Shortlisted candidates for the Grand Launch will be notified
17th Mar–10th Apr 2014 One-to-one mentoring and filming for a television series
NB You must be available for filming during this time.
Join the chat on twitter using the hashtag #launchingpeople
Disclosure: This is a commissioned piece. Images and video content courtesy of Samsung Launching People, but all thoughts and opinions are my own.