A simple marinade of lime, mint and chilli with a little olive oil and soft brown sugar transforms chunks of chicken thigh into glorious sticky and spicy BBQ treat. I prefer to use the dark meat on chicken as it’s far juicier with bags of tastiness.
With all the South American flavours in my little chicken kebabs, i’d be inclined to serve them up with a jugful of Mojito cocktail to really get the party started.
I’ve cooked these up in honour of the World Cup and all those BBQs everyone’s having to celebrate the summer of football madness. England might not have gone through, but there’s still a lot of amazing action ahead, and we’ve all moved on and chosen new teams to cheer on. The boys are backing Brazil, i’d quite like The Netherlands to win big – but who are you guys following?
If you’re in full World Cup BBQ mode then you can win a whole pack of meat on my blog. Just check out the giveaway i’m running with Farmer’s Choice at the bottom of this page.
But before you click off there, you’ll be needing my recipe for those kebabs…
Lime, Mint and Chilli Chicken Kebabs
Makes 12 small skewers
Prep time: 10 minutes, plus marinating time
Cook time: 20 minutes
For the chicken kebabs
2 limes – zest of 1, juice of both
Small handful of mint leaves, chopped
1 small red chill, de-seeded and finely chopped
4 tbsp soft brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
600g chicken thigh fillets – chopped into cubes
For the dressing
150g natural yogurt
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
1. Mix the marinade ingredients in a shallow dish, chop the chicken into evenly sized 3cm cubes and stir into the marinade. Season with salt and pepper and then cover with cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour minimum.
2. At the same time soak wooden skewers in water to prevent them catching alight on the BBQ.
3. While you’re bringing the BBQ up to temperature, thread the chunks of marinated chicken onto small wooded skewers.
4. Grill for 10-15 minutes, turning frequently until cooked through and the juices run clear.
5. To make the dressing: mix the yogurt with the chopped mint and lime zest, season to taste and pop in a little dish.
6. Serve the chicken skewers with wraps, salad and a drizzle of yogurt dressing for a tangy feast perfect for watching the match!
Win win win!
If you’d like to win a bundle of Farmer’s Choice meat fit for a BBQ feast then check out my competition page>>>
Disclosure: I was commissioned by Farmer’s Choice to create this recipe to promote the giveaway we are running together.