Where would we be without the great British staple of bacon and eggs? If we’ve ever feeling low in this house, that’s our go-to fill the frying pan meal! Me and the boys go streaky, Matthew has his weird veggie bacon, but we’re all happy 🙂
I’ve taken the classic and i’ve made it into puff pastry tarts, ideal for brunch, lunch or even a picnic as they’re delicious hot or cold. You could make one big one, but in my experience everyone likes one to themself. It also means you can customise according to taste – so sun-dried tomatoes instead of bacon for Matthew, mozzarella and sweetcorn for the boys and straight up bacon and eggs for me.
To add another layer of flavour I spread a tasty mix of cream cheese and pesto, but you could also mix up ricotta with sundried tomato paste or perhaps olive tapenade.
I always keep a pack of ready rolled puff pastry in the freezer, so recipes like this are my answer to a really quick meal that looks and tastes impressive, but in reality requires very little effort or time at all!!!
Bacon and Egg Puff Tarts
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15-20mins
1 x 375g packet of ready rolled puff pastry
60g cream cheese
2 tbsp pesto
8 rashers streaky bacon
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Line 2 baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
2. Unroll the sheet of pastry onto a board and cut in half and half again to create four equal rectangles. Place two side by side on each baking sheet and fold in the edges to create a 1cm deep border.
3. In a small bowl mix the cream cheese and pesto, then spread a thin layer across the surface of each tart.
4. Using kitchen scissors, trim the bacon to fit around the inside borders of each tart, you’ll need two rashers per tart.
5. Bake in the oven for around 10-15 mins, the bring them back out and crack an egg in the centre of each tart. Return to the oven and bake for a further 5 mins until the eggs are set.
6. Serve with plenty of green salad and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
As it’s prepared, cooked and on the table in 30 minutes I’m entering this recipe into Speedy Suppers… a blogging event hosted by myself and Sarah at Dinner With Crayons… check out the entry page for more brilliantly quick meal inspiration, and if you’re inclined why not add your own!