Warming recipe ideas for chilly winter evenings are what I’m all about at the moment. One pot wonders that you can bung in the oven and then feed to your ravenous tribe and watch them thaw out before your very eyes.
I’m always looking for new ideas with my veggie mince recipe, and adding a cheesy cobbler topping really appealed.
You’ve got juicy herby quorn mince topped with filling cheesy scone-type dumplings which you can use to mop up the gravy.
The boys got stuck in and it even quelled the monster appetite of Matthew – which is saying something!
Veggie bolognese cobbler
for the veggie bolognese
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, grated
1 stick celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 vegetable stock cube
1 tsp dried thyme
1 x 400g tin cannelini beans, drained
1 x 350g packet quorn mince (or equivalent)
for the cobbler
225g self raising flour
100g cold butter
30g grated parmesan
1 tsp dried thyme
1. Heat the oil in a large pan and gently soften the onions, grated carrot and celery for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
2. Add the tin of tomatoes, swirling out the tin with some water to make sure you get every last drop, stir in the stock cube and thyme and bubble on a medium heat for around 10 minutes.
3. Finally add the beans and quorn mince, give it a good stir and then simmer for 15 minutes.
4. While the bolognese is on the go make your cobbler topping. Put the flour, parmesan and butter into a large bowl and rub in with your fingertips (or in the processor for a shortcut) until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
5. Stir through the thyme and then gradually mix in the milk until you have a sticky dough-like mixture.
6. If you’re going to cook your cobbler straight away pre-heat your oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Turn your bolognese out into an ovenproof dish. Then grab small handfuls of the cobbler dough, scrunch into little golf balls and nestle on top of the bolognese until it’s pretty much fully covered.
7. Pop in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the cobbler topping is nice and golden.
Tip: Make this dish in advance up to step 6, cover with cling film and pop in the fridge and then cook in the oven when you’re ready.