I love a good macaroni cheese, and every time I make it I try to put a different spin on it. This time it’s a fluffy version inspired by Delia >>see her recipe here
I’ve added grain mustard to perk up my sauce, broccoli to break up the carbs and used parmesan (veggie version) instead of using Gruyere too as the kids sometimes turn their noses up at it. I left the mascarpone in and it really gives a gorgeous glossy texture to the sauce.
But it doesn’t stop there. The fluffy egg whites elevate this old faithful into a pretty sophisticated supper – rather like stepping into a pair of heels when you’re still wearing jeans.
It was wolfed down, seconds were had, but there was still enough to provide Matthew with lunches for the rest of the week!
50g plain flour
tbsp grain mustard
100g parmesan cheese, grated
4 egg yolks
1 head broccoli
4 egg whites
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for a few minutes then gradually add the milk whisking all the time to create a smooth white sauce. Once thickened remove from heat and stir in the mustard, nutmeg, half of the parmesan cheese and the egg yolks.
2. Meanwhile cook the macaroni and broccoli until almost done, but not completely all they’ll be totally mushed when you bake them. Drain and stir into the cheese sauce.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
4. Whisk the egg whites until peaks form, then tip into the pan of cheese sauce and carefully fold in until totally combined.
5. Pour into a large oven proof dish (and I mean large as this makes loads) or perhaps two medium-sized ones. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until fluffy and golden. Serve with crusty bread and salad or just on it’s own is fine too.